Monday, June 27, 2011

FDA Releases New Cigarette Warning Labels, Updated


The FDA has released nine new cigarette warnings this week that are both graphic and vulgar.
Will scare tactics really convince people to quit smoking? Are addicted smokers -- long term smokers-- really going to be phased looking at these new images on their cigarettes? I doubt it.

 According to their website, "the final set of cigarette health warnings contains nine different text warnings and accompanying color graphics to
  • increase awareness of the specific health risks associated with smoking, such as death, addiction, lung disease, cancer, stroke and heart disease;
  • encourage smokers to quit; and
  • empower youth to say no to tobacco."
I can't wait to hear the media backlash on this one. I can't imagine it being anything but harsh. Is this really what America needs? More fear mongering? I know I certainly wouldn't want my kids looking at billboards with this on them.
Here are a few of the images to judge for yourself: (Yes, these are the real images. I could hardly believe it myself.)
[Images: www.fda.gov]
UPDATE: Here's a link to an interesting Canadian website that shows multiple countries warning labels. Check out Thailands....even worse than our new ones. http://www.smoke-free.ca/warnings/Thailand%20-%20warnings.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment