Saturday, July 23, 2011

Homeless in Atlanta and On the Internet?

I was shocked, and a bit intrigued when I came across the blog and twitter feed entitled Homeless in Atlanta. A blog claiming to be the rantings of one of Atlanta's street people. My first thought was that it was a fake; but, after reading it more closely, I'm not so sure.
If you have spent any time in downtown Atlanta you are familiar with Atlanta's homeless problem. During my three year stint at Georgia State University I watched a number of people beg and panhandle. It was hard for me to eat lunch downtown sometimes as homeless people can often be seen eating food from the trash next to you.

One day I counted, 17 people asked me for a dollar. If I were to give 17 people a dollar every day, I would be broke myself.
Despite my guilty feelings, I am not usually one to give money. I don't like to support people's habits;  you really can't be sure how someone will use the money. I know this is cynical, and I am happy to give food, clothes, and my time. I am a big fan of programs like "toss with care". And even better, not requiring special cans,  re-plating -- putting your leftovers on top of the trashcan or giving them directly to someone. We are all humans after all. The homeless deserve dignity.
Is this blog real? If someone stuck to it, would they be able to make a difference in their own life with nothing but a blog and a twitter feed? Things on the internet can become viral at any time -- changing a person's life forever.

The blog reveals very few details, like how the person is online, other than using the GA Tech Barnes and Noble. There are only three entries all from three months ago. If it is a true story, I can imagine why they stopped blogging.....food should always trump blogging. But, if it is real, where is this person now?

[Image: Homeless in Atlanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment